Monday, July 20, 2009

Mining for Opals

My mom and Dan and I went to Spencer Idaho today to mine for opals. I read this great article in sundays newspaper about the mine in Spencer and that they have some of the best opals in the world. I was pretty impressed. So I talked my Mom and Dan into going, too. Along the way I saw this awesome boat and thought how much Jeff has wanted a boat! He could load this fixer upper onto his trailer and there you have a sailboat. I bet he could figure out how to put a motor on the back too!!! Well I was excited so we just had to take a picture. If you look really close you can see two parrots in the top. HAHAHA

















And this is us mining for opals. They have a tent so you can cob the stone in the shade and that makes it a lot nicer. You rinse the stones off and see the sparkle of the opals much better. Well, this is one of many things to do in Idaho. I bet you are all so excited for your next trip to Idaho to go opal mining.
There is also a cafe' next to the rock pile and they serve the best idaho fries with fry sauce. A must have.

1 comment:

Grandma Lois said...

It looks like a lot of fun! Did you find anything valuable? Love, Lois