Sunday, August 16, 2009

Canning Season

So we get back from a wonderful vacation and it is time to work. Jeff started early friday morn picking green beans and we worked on botteling them until we had 43 pints completed. Then saturday I got up at 0530 and started with the apples for apple pie filling. I also made bread and my mom came later to help with more apples. We bought these apples in Oregon and the lady told us they are the best for apple pies. They are gravensteins. One apple filled your whole hand. They are beautiful. You will all have to try these pies. The great thing is you don't need pie dough. Just put filling in a pan and put the crumble mixture on top and bake. Who needs the calories of the crust when this will do. They say 75% of the calories come from the crust anyway.

So needless to say we ended with 20 quarts of pie filling and hadn't even used half of the apples. So next week we will do more!

We also did pickled beets and red potatoes and there are 4 loaves of Zucchini bread in the freezer. Jeff has been so helpful this year with picking, watching the canner and pressure cooker I couldn't have done it without him. It was great to have my mom come and help too. She said she is doing so much better than last year. She was stirring the syrup on the stove and said last year she wouldn't have been able to stand and stir 'cause she was too weak. I don't think any of us can appreciate what she went thru over the past two years. Thanks Mom!!!

3 comments:

Grandma Lois said...

Everything looks so pretty in the bottles! It is alot of work, but worth it!! I will be happy to come over and help you eat some of it!! Love, Grandma Lois

The-7-C's said...

MMmmm! That looks scruptious! I'll bet you feel so satisfied after a project like that! I wish it were me!

Amy

The Wynn Family said...

Wow, nothing is better than seeing all those bottles full, way to go!